The important stuff...
The sanitization standards are high at waxologie; along with the quality of the products and service. There will be NO double dipping, NO recycling of wax and NO cross contamination. Gloves are always worn, surfaces are always being cleaned and instruments are always disinfected.
The wax is from France and it's an amazing cream style hard wax, so it only adheres to your hair (like shrink wrap) and not to your skin...unlike the gel hard wax at a well known wax center uses that still sticks to the skin some and has been known to break hairs more than pull them out. Oh, and lets not forget about the extra sticky strip wax like everyone has seen in the movie 40 Year Old Virgin...that stuff is awful and is widely used because it's cheap. Plus there's an added bonus at Waxologie...you get to enjoy a nice relaxing atmosphere without the hustle & bustle of a busy wax center.
Waxing Tips & Benefits
- Smooth, silky skin that lasts... Waxing removes hair from the root, so it takes a longer time for hair to grow again- anywhere from 3-4 weeks, depending on the individual speed of your hair growth cycles. This means your hair free, smooth skin lasts much longer and you can go for that holiday on the beach and bask in the glory of your enviably smooth and glowing skin without having to worry about body hair showing up in the meantime.
- Finer and softer body hair... The hair that grows after waxing is of a finer and softer variety, not rough and prickly like after shaving. And the really good thing is - waxing does not cause an ugly stubble as seen in just a day after shaving.
- Diminishes hair growth... After repeated sessions of waxing, you will notice a much sparser hair growth. This makes waxing much easier because there's much less hair than you have the first time.
- No skin damage... In contrast to other methods of hair removal like depilatory creams, shaving or lasering, waxing does not cause cuts, pigmentation, scarring or badly smelling skin. No harsh chemicals are present in wax, so the skin is saved from their damaging effects. Plus with the hard wax I use and my experience, your skin will not come off and you won't be left super sticky!
- I wax all areas of the body for women and men with only Hard Wax from France...it will be the least painful wax you'll ever experience!
- Do not shave the area being waxed for 5-14 days. It should be about ¼" long (or the length of a long grain of rice), but preferably ½" inch long for your first waxing especially if it's your brazilian area. Trimming your hair before you come in is fine, but if you are going to trim your hair, please don’t trim it too short. If the hair is shorter, the waxing will hurt more and not be as effective as when the hair is longer. Underarm hair only needs to be about ¼" long to wax. Exfoliating the area to be waxed on the day of your appointment will help too.
- Do not tan the area to be waxed right before the waxing! If it is sun burned, you cannot get waxed. If you have just tanned, you run the risk of the wax causing an abrasion on that area and it will be painful post waxing.
- Do not engage in heavy exercise or tanning at least 4 hours before or after your wax. Hard wax is used, which means when it is put on your skin, it needs to harden. If your body temperature is too hot, the wax won't harden and grip your hair. If you tan, your skin will be sensitive and may burn.
- Do not put any numbing creams or gels on the area to be waxed. Unfortunately, it will usually break the hairs rather than pull them out when using hard wax.
- It is highly recommended that you do not consume caffeine or nicotine 24 hours before your wax as it causes a stinging sensation when being waxed because they are stimulants. Also take note that alcohol consumption can cause excess bleeding because it thins the blood.
- If you are on Accutane for your skin, waxing on any part of your body is not for you. If you have had a glycolic (an alpha hydroxy acid) or a salicylic acid (beta hydroxy acid) peel or are using Retin A or Renova, on the area to be waxed, you will have to wait 1-2 weeks before the area can be waxed.
- If you have any sensitivity, you can pre-medicate with a pain reliever such as Tylenol 30 minutes before the waxing procedure. Other medications like Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS can cause minor bleeding or minor bruising, so stay away from those.
- It's completely okay to get waxed during your menstrual cycle; just wear a tampon and tell your Esthetician at your appointment.
- If you can, shower and clean your entire body thoroughly before the appointment. There is a certain amount of nudity involved and you will have to move into a couple of different positions. There are always wet wipes on hand for those last minute clean ups too.
- For the first 24 hours less is more - make sure to not tan, exfoliate, heavily exercise or take a hot shower because you will only inflame the area. If you do get inflamed, then take a cool shower or put a cool washcloth on the waxed area.
- Do not shave in-between waxes...tweeze instead - if you have to. Waxing trains your hair to become finer and grow slower. Shaving makes hair grow fast and keeps it thick.
- After 24-48 hours, exfoliate every day with a real loofah. I recommend real loofah's because the bath poofs are synthetic and only lather well, they don't exfoliate enough. As you wax, your individual hairs grow in thinner and poofs don't take enough of the dead skin cells off to let the hairs come through. That results in ingrown hairs and possibly infected hairs - not good! Waxing is an investment, so protect it.
And now... a Special MaNZILIAN Q&A Section JUST For Men!
A lot of men worry about body hair be it their back, shoulders, chest, abdomen or even the genital area. Unwanted hair can also be so sprouting from a man’s ears or nose and even if YOU can’t see it, I assure you people that come into contact with you can. I can help you get rid of all of that pesky hair with no problem at all. In the past few years, the biggest topic in waxing is the Male Brazilian aka Manzilian. Men have a ton of questions about waxing the genital area and they may be tempted to be waxed as their partners have been doing it since the 90’s. Is it not time for men to catch up?
Q: So what is a Male Brazilian aka Manzilian?
A: In my office, a standard Male Brazilian includes the frontal pubic area (the mound), about 3 inches where the upper thigh meets the pubic area; the shaft, scrotum and anal area. It is optional to leave a patch of hair above the shaft.
Q: Will it hurt?
A: The short answer is “yes”. The long answer is that it has its painful moments, but not nearly as painful as you imagine. It’s a quick pain and generally does not linger. The first wax is the most uncomfortable because you are a “virgin” at waxing and your hair and skin are not used to the procedure. I always tell my clients to at least try it twice and then make a decision if they want to continue on a regular basis----the second time is so much better!
Q: What do you mean that the first time I am a "virgin"?
A: What that means, is that sometimes, especially during the first wax, that you will experience some side effects: That can be small bruises; a minuscule drop of blood from the pores when the hair is first pulled out which subsides right away; redness in the area. The scrotum is a delicate area the first time as well. I use a high quality hard wax for the entire procedure and I try to get every single hair. However, if your scrotum starts to look as if it is had enough, I will stop. I’d rather leave a couple of hairs than cause pain and usually by the second or third time it is not a problem. I have also noticed that red heads are prone to more redness.
Q: Is there anything that I can do to decrease the pain?
A: Some clients have found it helpful to take Tylenol about 30 minutes before the procedure and definitely don't have any caffeine 24 hours before your wax.
Q: What do I need to do before my first appointment?
A: If you shave, I will need at lease ½" re-growth to wax the first time. If your hair is long, I ask that you trim it to ½". It’s always nice if you are fresh in that area by showering or I do have wet wipes available in the bathroom.
Q: How often do I need to get it done to maintain?
A: Your first wax will grow a bit faster than subsequent waxes and you will possibly notice re-growth in 10-14 days. By the 3rd regular wax (done every 4 weeks) you will notice that your hair is finer and not as dense, and therefore you will feel less discomfort. The re-growth will be slowed and you will notice that it can take approximately 3 weeks to come back, so you will feel basically hair free most of the time.
Q: What type of men wax and why?
A: I have male clients that range from 20 to 60 years old. Some are military personnel, students, professionals, athletes….you name it. Men usually wax because their partners like the look and feel and men themselves prefer it. Body parts not covered in hair are much more sensitive to the touch. It makes personal hygiene easier; you feel cleaner and yes, you may even look bigger!
Q: What happens if I get an erection during the procedure?
A: You know it happens; it’s an adrenal response from the body, not a sexual one. I’m a Licensed Esthetician who has worked in this field for many years and I've seen it before...no need to be embarrassed. As long as we mutually respect each other, there is no problem.
Q: Do you provide any Erotic Services?
A: Nope!! And 99.9% of my clients would never think to ask that question, but just in case that .1% needs clarification...I will answer it. In my office, waxing is not a sexual experience, it’s a clinical one. I am performing a procedure and trying to do the best job possible for you. Please don’t disrespect me by flirting with me or making suggestive comments - the police will be called! If that is what you are after, then I am not the waxer for you…and it is your loss because I am one of the best male brazilian waxers in the area.